Thursday, December 07, 2006

Fine Dining

Last night my family was treated to a unique dining experience at The Driskill Grill. My uncle was in town for a conference and is staying at this fine hotel located in downtown Austin, Texas. My cousins were also there, Bridget and her daughter Darcy, bringing the guest tally to 4 adults,2 four month olds, and one 4 year old. The hostess was quite dismayed at seeing us ask for a table. While children are not expressly forbidden they are clearly less than welcome. It was already shaping up to be a fantastic meal. Moving past the jaws agape and onto our table, (flanked lovingly by two tables obviously cleared of place settings to buffer those around us from our uncivilized presence) we were finally seated and allowed to begin our meal. Check out this menu!

I started with the Poached Lobster Salad (the menu linked is slightly different than the one we viewed) which I have to say was pretty darn good. The salad dressing was some sort of glaze which I wish had been more liberally applied. The second course delivered me the quail. This was accompanied by a patron curd (as in jose cuervo) which sounds horrid but is actually pretty nice when spread on thinly sliced quail. I finished up with the prawns. The crawfish were good but the chorizo bed they were placed on was incredibly rich and I felt as though I was spooning grease directly into my gullet with every bite. All in all it was an incredibly pompous affair and the price was outrageous. My only conclusion is that I have a very immature palate, and I am happy for that.

The company more than made up for the uncomfortable atmosphere, and not to brag but my kids were so well behaved that the hostess actually ended up sitting at our table and coloring with my 4 year old daughter. Quite the turn of events considering she was definitely considering denying us a seat.

If you are in Austin, stay at the Driskill, but eat at Sullivan's.

No comments: